Everyone loves a cocktail or two. But what about one with a little twist? CBD infused cocktail recipes are becoming quite the hit at BBQ’s and parties. Why? Because they aren’t psychoactive. They do exactly what they say – you can get a CBD buzz without getting high from the THC. They are growing in popularity and are now even being served in bars.
What Happens When You Mix CBD with Alcohol?
So what happens when you mix CBD with alcohol? Why Use CBD In Cocktails? CBD oil doesn’t have psychoactive properties. It comes from hemp. Unlike its sister, marijuana, hemp produces very small amounts of THC. This means there’s no high when you use hemp-derived CBD products. You may be thinking this would mean it is a waste of time using it in cocktails. Not according to the owner of the first New York City CBD inspired cafe – Adriaen Block. The bar is named after the Dutch privateer who was the first white man to navigate the treacherous waters of the tidal strait Hell’s Gate in 1614.
CBD infused Cocktail for a Very Different Kind of Buzz
Zsolt “George” Csonka says by putting these two worlds together it gives you a very different kind of buzz. It is the combination of the drink being relaxing and the mellowness of the CBD. “These people, they don’t want to get a hangover from hard liquor, they want to have one or two drinks… and tomorrow they still want to go to the gym,” he told Gothamist.
CBD helps your body maintain a relaxed mood. So if you are feeling down from alcohol the CBD infusion may help to assist in balancing those emotions out. CBD can also help support joint and muscle function. Picture the scene; you have been crunched over your desk, or working hard at your job and on your feet. Or you are all stressed out from being hunched over the wheel of your car in traffic. You can use your CBD cocktail to relax and unwind. Now that you know why you should try drinking CBD cocktails lets look at some recipes.
CBD for the Cosmos
All the ladies love a Cosmo. But how about making happy hour even happier with a dash of orange CBD tincture? This uptown spin puts some zest in a traditional favorite. This recipe is courtesy of Joy Organics.
- ½ ounce fresh lime juice
- 1-ounce cranberry juice
- ½ ounce Cointreau or triple sec
- 1 ½ ounces vodka
- 1-milliliter orange CBD tincture
- Orange peel for garnish
- In a cocktail shaker, mix the lime juice, cranberry juice, triple sec or Cointreau, and vodka.
- Shake up the concoction.
- Open up and add the orange CBD tincture to the mix and shake again.
- Add ice.
- Give the shaker a vigorous shake for around 20 seconds.
- Once the shaker feels cold, you’re good to go.
- Place a strainer over the mouth of your shaker and pour into a chilled martini glass.
- Garnish with an orange twist.
Gin & Chronic
This is a tangy after-dinner wind-down drink. That will leave you feeling hydrated, and full of effervescent spirit. Thank you for the publication, Goop!
- 1 ½ ounce gin
- 3 ½ ounces tonic water
- ¼ ounce lemon juice
- 1 milliliter CBD oil
- Aromatics for garnish recommendations:
- Edible Flowers
- Grapefruit Peel
- Lime Wheel
- Combine gin, lemon juice and tonic water in a wine glass.
- Top the concoction off with ice.
- Place the aromatic garnishes on the top.
- Pour CBD oil on top so it floats.
Here’s a special sharpener to kick start your day. Enjoy this CBD chai. The earthy tones of natural CBD tinctures are a perfect complement to this beverage. It can be made either virgin so you can function at work or with alcohol so you can relax in front of the tube.
- 1-cup milk of your choice (We prefer hemp milk or unsweetened soy.)
- 1 milliliter plain CBD tincture
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons honey or agave
- Dash of nutmeg
- Cinnamon stick
- Shot of Bailey’s (Optional)
- Place a saucepan on the stove over low heat.
- Pour in milk, vanilla extract, sweetener, and CBD tincture.
- Whisk the mixture together and heat until warmed.
- Once cooked, add in a shot of Bailey’s if you want alcohol.
- Stir with a cinnamon stick and top off with a dusting of nutmeg.
Go Night-Night CBD Tea
We all love a tipple or two. But they can often interfere with our ability to sleep. Research has revealed, “arousal is heightened 2–3 hours after blood alcohol concentrations fall close to zero.” So as you sleep it off…it makes you wake up. This is a CBD mocktail. So you can relax and unwind. You can use mint and orange tinctures for this recipe as well.
- 1 cup distilled water
- 1 tablespoon chamomile leaves
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1-milliliter lemon CBD tincture
- Boil distilled water in a pot.
- Add the chamomile and allow the leaves to steep for five minutes.
- Pour the flower water into a mug.
- Add in the CBD tincture.
- Pour the milk and honey in, mix and enjoy.
CBD Tranquil Mint Julep
Take the ouch out of your day and give it a relaxing kick. CBD Tranquil Mint Julep uses a mint CBD tincture. So you get a delicious drink and minty-fresh breath!
- 2 ½ ounces of bourbon
- ½ ounce of simple syrup
- 1 milliliter of mint CBD tincture
- 2 drops organic peppermint essential oil (optional)
- Mint leaves for garnish
- Pour mint CBD tincture into a chilled julep cup.
- Add the simple syrup and optional organic peppermint essential oil.
- Give the mixture a swirl and then throw some mint leaves into the cup.
- Muddle the mint leaves in your mix.
- Pour the bourbon over everything.
- Top off the beverage with some pebble ice.
- Add mint leaves for garnish and enjoy!
If you enjoyed this blog post, go and check out our post on what it is like to try weed for the first time. And don’t forget to visit our Facebook Green Kong, and our Instagram @green_kong.